Thursday, March 18, 2010

Whole Grains - that is the key

Since the 2nd week in February our family has gone mostly whole grain. I found the miracle grain that has changed our lives.  It's white whole wheat. 

I've been trying to make whole wheat bread for years, trying lots of different recipes. Each loaf of bread would come out worse then the last, it seemed. They were all like a doorstop. 

Then it all came together one day for me...my sister Loni told me that our local grocery store had 50# of wheat for $9, so trying to keep up with the church's recommendations on food storage,  we went and bought 200# of it.  Then a couple of weeks later my friend finally gave me her recipe for wheat bread (that I'd been bugging her for). Her wheat bread was always so good.  So when I got her recipe I noticed that it called for "white wheat" so I ground up some of my new wheat and 'voila' a loaf of bread masterpiece.  I was so excited!!

Just out of curiosity I tried the same recipe with my old standby "red wheat" and sure enough it was a doorstop.  That red wheat needs white flour mixed and gluten additives to work out (for me anyway)

Anyway, we're making whole grain everything and I swear you can't even tell.  I put it in cookies, cakes, pizza dough and waffles. I haven't bought a loaf of bread since then and I'm happy to do it for my family.  My husband has lost about 34-40 lbs and is looking awesome.  We're also eating lots of fruits and veggies and real yogurt.  We're also making frozen yogurt and fruit shakes. And we're walking 3-5 miles everyday.  It feels so good to eat right.  If you want these recipes go to my other blog http://www.themcentirewilsonfamilyrecipes.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

lindsey v said...

Thanks for the recipes. :) So does the wheat say "white wheat" on the package?

Soda Springs Idaho Home For Sale said...

Lindsey, you can order white wheat from the church for $5.80 for a 25lbs bag, which is a really great price right now. I just bought 400lbs for $92.00

Rena said...

Wow! congratulations to mike for losing all that weight! I havent seen you guys in a long time!